What’s been newly released for Poser and DAZ, since May 2018? I was going to do three seasonal surveys on this topic, as a catch-up: early summer 2018; Summer/Autumn, and Autumn/Winter 2018/2019. But it seems simpler just to do one big survey of the very best and/or most useful items for the whole period.
It’s been a time of turmoil or change for some stores. Smith Micro’s Content Paradise store has vanished (with adequate notice, and time to grab the very best of my Wishlist), as has the Vue store Cornucopia3D (with no notice), but a number of the same content sellers can now be found elsewhere.
Renderosity seems to have cured the bandwidth problems that had dogged it, and Rendo now once again works with a reasonable speed and responsiveness. Sadly, Renderosity would only let me track back through “What’s New” to the tail end of Halloween 2018, so I had to rely on my WishList and noted vendor pages for the May-October period.
The CGBytes store went “offline for maintenance” as I was halfway through browsing it for the list below.
There’s a new Artstation Marketplace, though it’s mostly Blender / ZBrush / and Photoshop do-dahs.
The iClone Marketplace store had a UI makeover, back in the summer I think, and it’s an improvement.
Ok, well… with that store-tastic intro out the way, here’s my personal pick of the last nine months of Poser/DAZ content. Freebies are only listed below if they’re ‘commercial use’.
Dalos Outfit for Genesis 8 Female with dForce jacket.
* Sci-Fi Assassin Outfit for Genesis 8 Male. Stylish, not too showy, adaptable. Looks great.
* Solaris Portal for DAZ Studio.
* The Green Room by Stonemason, for DAZ Studio.
* Cassini System Bundle for alien botany pictures.
* Bubble Habitat by Coflek-Gnorg, one of a large series of his matching space colony models.
* Retro SciFi Pulp Poses for M4/V4 for Poser.
* Retro Pulp Sci-Fi Spaceship for Poser. Now all we need is a nice Virgil Finlay stipple filter for Photoshop…
* Need a retro robot driver for your retro spacecraft? The new Robotika Three for G8F.
* 40 sky presets for Bryce 7, as freebies.
* Li’l Patch Girl HD for Genesis 8 Female, a steampunkish robot girl.
* Mary Pops for G3F in DAZ Studio.
* Cigarette holder, and poses for Poser.
Faces, expressions, facial hair, unusual figures:
* The free Facial-AHairness for M4 in Poser. Mutton-chops and matching moustaches.
* The paid Facial A-Hairness 2 for M4 and Poser.
* 24 Facial Expressions for Meshbox’s good H. P. Lovecraft character for Poser.
* Y’vas Outfit for Genesis 8 Female, new and very high quality from Aeon Soul.
Shadowsoul M4 Outfit. A full free outfit for M4 in Poser.
* Nightsong’s Masque: Feathered Mask for V4 has made it over to Renderosity, having formerly been at the old Runtime DNA store.
* A new Werebeast M4 WM for Michael 4, for Poser 10 and 11.
* SY Mutants of Chzor, alien plants.
* The Bride Hair for V4. Classic 1940s style ‘monster movie’ hair. Also for G3/G8, although for some reason that page won’t open for me.
* Nature’s Wonders Turtles of the World Vol. 1 – Tortoise for Poser and DAZ. By Poser nature expert Ken Gilliland.
* Some of the Smith Micro Poser animals have made it over from Content Paradise to Renderosity, including a Quagga and a Donkey. The old Content Paradise Giant Octopus is still available and also worth having.
* There’s a fine free jellyfish, albeit for Blender and in need of extraction to OBJ. Although, in my experience, about 95% of the time trying to extract anything usable from a Blender .blend file is a nightmare that ends in failure.
* Housefly by AM, a very realistic and well textured standard housefly.
* Photoreal Bramble, Blackberry and Briar Plants for your dragonflies and butterflies.
* A new Morphing Sacred Cat from Ancient Egypt.
* Cat Motions for Poser, animations for both the MillCat and the Hivewire cat, including idles.
* ShaaraMuse3D has continued to produce a variety of quality HD grounds and terrains for both DAZ and Poser. Including a nice Frozen Natural Riverbank, and a fine sea-worn rockpool for your crabs and sea- weeds and seashells For Vue and 7 Sea Shell Props for DAZ…
* Pine Grove for Daz. Good for Hobbitry and more. Might be paired with Weeping Willow Trees (which promises “as low a poly count as possible” re: render times). The texture-less product pictures suggest that the leaves of the Willow trees are not trans-mapped, so they may be suitable for tooning to line-art as well as being low-poly.
* dForce Templar Outfit for Genesis 8 Male. Although pitched as a Crusader outfit, it looks quite adaptable for a variety of ancient and desert scenes. I can imagine this as a Druid outfit, for instance, without any fancy neo-pagan embroidery chintz and with the aid of the new Wise Wizard Beard for Genesis 8 Male.
* Knickerbockers for Genesis 8 Male, for your Downton and similar vintage scenes.
* Vintage 70’s Pedal Bike of the Chopper type.
* Project Flintknapper for Genesis 8. 15 archaeological dig poses.
* Pre-coiled Bits of Barbed wire for Poser.
* The Anne of Green Gables -style dForce Nostalgia Dress for Genesis 8 Female.
* A free dForce sleeveless dress for G8F in the latest DAZ Studio.
* A free True Mirror for iRay in DAZ Studio. With accurate light fall-off and green-shift.
* Stonemason’s The Gothic Library.
* The Gothic Library might be equipped with the GWR Platform Ticket Machine for Poser. This could become a “magic ticket” element in a storybook tale.
Comics and toon:
Nursoda’s very newest is Blumi.
* Dinoraul’s fantasy dinosaur with toony face Ogaliks DR for Poser.
* A simple but stylish and free Ghost for V4 in Poser.
* Free materials for Poser tested to work in Preview mode, for use with Poser’s real-time Comic Book Preview.
* Superfly material for SA Kitty. Robo-cat Kitty ships with Poser for free.
* Poses for Squidy, a toon octopus, if you grabbed him before he vanished from Content Paradise. Amazingly, Darkseal says he only ever sold 13 copies there.
* RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter. Which claims all the textures in a DAZ Studio scene can be updated for iRay in four clicks, including light-emissive materials.
* The free Locate all image bitmaps script shows you all the images driving the textures in the current scene.
* And finally, Procedural Clay Material for Cycles. Since Poser now uses Cycles for SuperFly, this could be ported to Poser. Similar to the Sculptural Genesis 8 Ultra Fun Kit which turns any G8 figure into a statue.
That’s it! Phew! More picks soon!